Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Fooled by the Snake Oil Salesman


The other day, I received a package in the mail! Despite the fact that I had placed the order for this package and that I knew that the box contained six bottles of water, I was still excited. These bottles of water are not plain water from the tap (I really hope they arent’) but are actually ‘fractionally distilled aloe vera juice’. Aloe vera juice is meant to contain a powerful natural anti-inflammatory which I believe could benefit my gut. A side-effect of drinking plain aloe vera juice is diarrhea which is what many of us with IBD are trying to avoid. This aloe vera juice, however, is meant to be more tolerable because the diarrhea-inducing agents have been removed while all the anti-inflammatory properties are maintained. The aloe vera juice is really easy to swallow, since it tastes just like water!

I like to think that I am someone who is not so easily fooled but when it comes to my health I really want to BELIEVE! As I pour my aloe water into a cup at night before bed, my husband gives me a smirk that means, “You know you have spent a fortune on water, right?”. He’s tasted and confirmed that it is just water. Ohhh, but the company addresses this on their website:

Q. Doesn’t distillation just turn it to water? 
A. Georges is fractionally distilled, meaning it is broken down into various parts, with the undesirable elements removed. It is then re-assembled. Products such as Jack Daniels & Petroleum are distilled products and would never be confused with water.

See, there you have it, it’s not just water, right? Well, it’s what I want to believe for now.

What everyone, even the best intentioned in the health industry know is that when we are sick most of us will do and pay almost anything to get better. Sometimes we know we’re being duped but it takes us time and money to admit it to ourselves. One time, I went to see this supposedly wonderful homeopath who told me that we would get to the bottom of this problem (my disease) and I would be feeling better soon. I left her office feeling like I was in good hands… until I got to the receptionist who handed me a bill of $600 for the first visit, the remedies, and the lab tests. The lab tests came up with nothing, and the remedies didn’t work but the homeopath told me that through weekly telephone appointments we would find the right one. After three telephone appointments (all billed of course) I suddenly realized that something seemed wrong. Each week she was recommending a new remedy and I was running out and getting it, spending more money, and paying her fee each time. Eventually, I told her that since I was not seeing any progress, I was done. Though some may think I was paying an honest price for a professional service, I really felt that despite any good intentions she might have had, this homeopath was exploiting my vulnerability and wishes for health.

I feel I should invest a little money trying new products, especially if they are suggested by a reliable source. Though knowing who is a reliable source is not easy, I can at least say that I am far less trustful than I used to be. Today, I feel comfortable with my decision to try the aloe water, though I know I may laugh at myself further down the road, knowing I’d been duped again.

2 comments: