Thursday, June 9, 2011

Flowers for Algernon


I am feeling so great at the moment. My body feels strong, I have energy, I'm spending less time in the bathroom, I feel so much more in control. When I feel this way, I can't help but think of the story Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes. If you weren't forced to read this book in high school, it's about a man who has a very low IQ who is given an experimental therapy that increases his intelligence. Algernon is the lab mouse that also received the therapy and Charlie notices that after some time Algernon's intelligence is regressing and he knows that the same will soon happen to him. I see my health when I'm on medication as artificial, just like Charlie's intelligence. I am aware that this wonderful feeling is temporary and I am enjoying it as much as I can and making the most of it. I think I need to remember that this is probably true of everyone. Even people without chronic illness go through cycles and it is normal to have highs and lows in terms of energy levels and motivation-right? Or maybe I really need to settle for nothing less? Maybe I should decide that this is how I want to feel and I will take whatever medication I need to keep feeling this way? Maybe I need to stop worrying about side effects and live as best as I can right now? According to Wikipedia, Daniel Keyes got the idea of writing this story from working in a special needs class where a boy asked, "if I work hard and get smart, can I go to the regular class?". I think that my situation is more hopeful, physical health is definitely not fixed. I'm starting to think that it's not "hard work" that's going to improve my health, but rather letting go and letting the drugs do the job for the time being.

No comments:

Post a Comment